Director of Academic Affairs & Licensing
Academic Affairs and Licensing Division
For purposes of assuring quality, accountability, and effectiveness in public institutions of higher education, the Division of Academic Affairs and Licensing on a continuing basis:
- Reviews and approves all institutional mission statements.
- Provides the conduit for Southern Regional Education Board cooperation in contract programs (Optometry, Veterinary Medicine, NC School of the Arts), Academic Common Market Programs, and the Electronic Campus of SREB.
- Reviews and approves all new academic program proposals.
- Conducts periodic reviews of existing four-year undergraduate programs of study.
- Administers state-funded competitive grants programs (e.g., Centers for Economic Excellence and the South Carolina Teaching Scholarship Grant Program.)
- Administers federally-funded, state-administered grants, such as the Improving Teacher Quality Higher Education grants program.
- Staffs the Governor's Professor of the Year program; the Commission's Service Learning Award; the Deans' Committee on Medical Education; and a variety of interagency task forces.
- Provides policy research and disseminates annual reports on critical issues in public higher education.
- Licenses qualified in-state and out-of 'state higher education proprietary institutions and out-of-state public and private eleemosynary institutions.
- Promotes with all the state's public and private institutions and the state library a plan to develop and sustain a statewide higher education electronic library with a union catalog, significant full-text databases, and interlibrary loan features.
- Works to build institutional capacity and public interest in disciplinary areas of high need (e.g., healthcare and teacher education).