GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPOSING BENCHMARKS FOR INDICATORSCLARIFYING MEMO FOR 1999 -2000 BENCHMARKS Institutions must provide on the Institutional Benchmark Proposal Form (attached) the required information for each measure for which an institutional benchmark is required. Institutions may elect to default to the sector benchmark and may enter the sector benchmark on the proposed form. Designate such an entry as instructed with 'SB.' In proposing benchmarks, institutions should take into account the following criteria the Commission staff will use in analyzing benchmarks and making staff recommendations. Since appropriate ranges around benchmarks will be used in analyzing institutions success in meeting benchmarks, institutions should propose benchmarks assuming they will be the midpoint of any range that is used in the rating process to evaluate institutions success in meeting the benchmark. The Commission on Higher Education will use the following strategy to analyze if a benchmark is proposed at the appropriate level:
- If the proposed benchmark meets or exceeds the sector benchmark, then it will default to the sector benchmark and be recommended for approval.
- If the proposed benchmark does not meet or exceed the sector benchmark, then the following questions will be asked:
If the proposed benchmark meets the criteria in B1 and B2, then it will be recommended for approval. If not, the staff will analyze the rationale provided by the institution in light of
- Does the proposed benchmark show movement in the desired direction?
- Does the proposed benchmark show a rate of annual movement that is comparable to or greater than the average annual movement in the historical data for the institution? (If no more than two years of trend data is available, the Commission will review the proposed benchmark in light of question 1. Historical data and average annual percent change for each indicator based on available historical data will be provided to each institution.)
- Does the rationale presented by the institution present a clear case for the suggested benchmark?
- A 'rationale' must be provided on the Institutional Benchmark Proposal Form for any proposed benchmark which does not either meet or exceed the sector benchmark or show movement in the desired direction and comparable to the annual movement in the historical data for that institution for that indicator. Sector benchmarks and other information are provided in the Performance Funding Workbook. A 'rationale' is not required if the proposed benchmark meets the criteria outlined above.
- In all cases in which an institution proposes a benchmark, rather than defaulting to the sector benchmark, the institution should briefly explain how it plans to achieve its goal (benchmark), using the space provided on the Form.
- The Institutional Benchmark Proposal Form for each measure or portion of a measure that requires a benchmark must be submitted by the date indicated on the Performance Funding Calendar included in the Workbook. Proposed institutional benchmarks for Year 4 are due at the Commission on Higher Education by the end of the day on May 14, 1999.
- Proposed institutional benchmark forms should be sent by mail or fax, together with the Summary Benchmark Proposed Form with authorizing signature, to:
S. C. Commission on Higher Education
1333 Main Street, Suite 200
Columbia, SC 29201
PLEASE DUPLICATE PAGE FOR EACH INDICATOR
|Performance Year 1999-00 Benchmark Proposal Form ||Institution: ________________________________________
Contact and Phone #: ______________________________ Authorizing Signature:_________________ Date: _________
|1. State your goal (benchmark) in measurable terms for each applicable performance indicator. Please refer to the schedule included in the workbook for indicators to be benchmarked. Note: The complete set of Benchmark Proposal forms for all applicable indicators will constitute the Performance Indicator Section for Indicator 1D. Additionally, a 1999-00 Strategic Plan and enrollment projections must be submitted with benchmarks for Year 4. ||INDICATOR: _________BENCHMARK for |
PERF. YEAR 1999-2000: _________
(If you are proposing the Sector Benchmark, please state SB on the line followed by the appropriate Sector Benchmark.)
| || || |
|Rationale for proposed benchmark. The rationale is required ONLY if an institution is seeking approval of a benchmark which does not either meet or exceed the sector benchmark or show movement in the desired direction equal to or greater than the average annual movement in the historical data. (Be specific and brief) |
|Strategy/Plan to Achieve Proposed Benchmark. How will you achieve your goal? For example, if you plan to increase graduation rates, how do you plan to do it? If you plan to increase the credit hours taught, how will you do so? (Be specific and be brief.) This explanation is required unless the institution elects to default to the sector benchmark. |