Skip Navigation



If an extenuating circumstance has caused a student to fail to meet the academic requirements (cumulative grade point average and/or credit hours) for regaining or renewing a LIFE Scholarship, renewing a Palmetto Fellows Scholarship, or receiving a remaining term of the SC HOPE Scholarship, the student may file an appeal with the Commission on Higher Education.   Students wishing to file an appeal must thoroughly read the Appeal Guidelines and submit all materials by the established deadline.  The Commission on Higher Education is not responsible for ensuring that appeals application are complete for review. Furthermore, the Commission staff will not contact students, parents/guardians or institutions concerning documentation that is missing and/or incorrect in the appeals application packet during the appeals process.

The appeals application is made available at the end of the spring term, to open in May and close in September, for the next academic year. Students wishing to file an appeal must do so the no later than the first fall term in which they re-enroll at an eligible South Carolina institution. Please note that students are able to take advantage of the maymester and summer terms in an effort to earn the requisite GPA/credit hour requirement to maintain scholarship eligibility.

Students who fail to meet the initial eligibility criteria or who were never eligible to receive the SC HOPE, LIFE, or Palmetto Fellows Scholarship are not eligible to submit an appeal. In addition, students who did not file an appeal by the established September deadline upon the first fall term of re-enrollment at an eligible South Carolina institution are not eligible to submit an appeal

It may be best to work with the financial aid office at your home institution to discuss whether your situation is an institutional issue or is appealable to the Commission on Higher Education.

*Important Note Regarding Official Transcripts*: Official transcripts must be submitted from the student’s current and any/all previous post-secondary institutions attended, enrolled, and/or earned credit hours from, including dual enrollment coursework. If an institution is using courses for GPA/credit hours then an official transcript from the institution in which the credit hours were earned needs to be provided to the Commission. EVEN IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY APPEALED, NEW/UPDATED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ORDER FOR AN APPEAL TO BE HEARD

Should you wish to submit an official electronic transcript, it is the student’s responsibility to verify with the institution that the electronic submission will be considered “official” and therefore may be used for a complete appeal submission. The Commission cannot guarantee that any electronic transcript will be considered official and acceptable for processing. Any electronic submissions direct from the student or any electronic submission that states “unofficial” will NOT be accepted.

It may be in your best interest to request an official hard copy be sent to the Commission.