As the state's coordinating board, CHE facilitates institutional data submission from the state's public and independent colleges and university through the CHE Management Information System (CHEMIS), a higher education database. Data is collected throughout the year and is used for research, responding to inquiries at the state and national levels, and carrying out higher program administration requirements.
- Primary CHEMIS Contacts for Public Institutions
(As of July 14, 2022) The Citadel Lisa Pace email@example.com Director of Institutional Research Clemson Dr. Juan Xu firstname.lastname@example.org Director of Institutional Research Coastal Carolina University Holly J. Legg email@example.com Interim Director, Institutional Research College of Charleston Michelle L. Smith firstname.lastname@example.org Executive Director of Institutional Research Francis Marion University Dr. Charlene Wages email@example.com Vice President for Administration and Planning Lander University Mr. Mac Kirkpatrick firstname.lastname@example.org Director of Institutional Research Medical University of South Carolina Dr. Ben Reynolds email@example.com Director, Office of Institutional Effectiveness South Carolina State University Cammie Berry firstname.lastname@example.org Director of Institutional Research SC Technical College System Moses E. Brown email@example.com Associate Vice President, Data Management and Reporting University of South Carolina Dr. Cheryl Addy CADDY@mailbox.sc.edu Interim Executive Director, Office of Institutional Research, Assessment and Analytics Winthrop University Maria Linn firstname.lastname@example.org Director of Institutional Research
Note: For questions on CHE Report 14-A,B,C, e-mail email@example.com
Completions Data Reporting:
Effective with the reporting of completions data as of the 2010-2011 year, the new ethnicity/race format is mandatory. The original race data field has been removed from the file layouts below. A new layout without the race code was replaced on 9/12/2011. The abbreviated file layout contains birth dates, which is is mandatory per the 2011-2012 completions data.
- Abbreviated File Layout for Completions and Double Major (New Ethnicity/Race Format) Updated 9/30/2021 (PDF)
- Full File Layout for Completions and Double Major (New Ethnicity/Race Format) Updated 9/30/2021 (PDF)
Scholarship Data Reporting
Note: Independent Institutions do NOT report Need-based Grant data - it is reported by Tuitions Grants.
Enrollment Data Reporting
Effective with the reporting of Enrollment data for fall 2010, the new ethnicity/race format is mandatory!. The original Race data field has been removed from the file layouts below. New layout without the race code was replaced on 10/21/10.
- Abbreviated File Layout for Enrollment, Transfers and Double Majors (New Ethnicity/Race Format) Updated 9/30/2021 (Excel)
- Full File Layout for Enrollment, Transfers, and Double Majors (New Ethnicity/Race Format) Updated 9/30/2021 (Excel)
Additional File Formats of use to Institutions
- CHEMIS Tape Specifications
Text Format for Data - maximum length
FACILITIES contains 2 record types, maximum length 138 bytes
COURSE contains 4 record types, maximum length 90 bytes
FACULTY contains 1 record type, maximum length 100
STUDENT ENROLLMENT contains 3 record types, maximum length 120 bytes
STUDENT COMPLETION contains 1 record type, maximum length 77 bytes
STUDENT IDENTIFIER contains 1 record type, maximum length 41 bytes
STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP contains 1 records type, maximum length 58
General rules for files:
1. ALL fields
a. Unpacked and unsigned
2. Numeric fields
a. Right justify
b. Zero-fill numeric fields that report values (e.g., 100=000100 in a 6 digit numeric field)
c. Round all numeric fields to the degree of accuracy specified
3. Alphanumeric fields (no leading spaces)
a. Left justify
4. Special Characters
a. Do not use commas, decimal points, hyphens, slashes, etc. in any field. If a data element is specified as having a decimal point, this is an implied decimal point only.
5. Filler Fields
a. A filler field is an unused area in the record. However, a filler field must be filled with blanks so that the proper record length and record format can be maintained.
a. Represented in both numeric and alphanumeric fields as all 9s (e.g., an alphanumeric field with a length of 6 would be reported as 999999).
b. Not all fields allow a null value. Refer to the CHEMIS Data Dictionary for this field-specific information.
c. A null value represents information that is not available. NOTE: Some fields have an unknown code and therefore do not allow a null value.
a. All fields must have a value. These values must be in accordance to the specific data element requirements detailed in the CHEMIS Data Dictionary (PDF).
- CHEMIS Technical Documentation
CHEMIS Data Dictionary (Sept. 28, 2016) (PDF)
- ASCII Format, New Ethnicity/Race Formats (Sept. 28, 2016) (PDF)
- Full Format, New Ethnicity/Race Format (Sept. 28, 2016) (Excel)
- Abbreviated Format , New Ethnicity/Race Format (Sept. 28, 2016) (Excel)
- ASCII Format, Old and New Ethnicity/Race Formats (July 22, 2009) (PDF)
- Full Format, Old Ethnicity/Race Format (July 23, 2010) (Excel)
- Full Format, New Ethnicity/Race Format (Sept. 12, 2011) (Excel)
- Abbreviated Format, Old Ethnicity/Race Format (July 23, 2010) (Excel)
- Abbreviated Format, New Ethnicity/Race Format (August 31, 2012) (Excel)
Scholarship Disbursement - March 4, 2008
NOTE: Independent Institutions do NOT report Need-based Grant data - it is reported by Tuitions Grants.
The data displayed below is current, as it is extracted from the active data file(s) as you make a selection. If a code or site identifie is not shown, it has not been added to the associated database.
- Appendix B FIPS Country Codes (PDF)
- Appendix C CEEB SC High School Codes (PDF)
- Appendix D IPEDS/CIP Codes (PDF)
- Appendix E SC County Codes (PDF)
- Appendix F FIPS State Codes (PDF)
- Appendix G CHE Room Use Codes (PDF)
- Appendix H IPED S/CHE Functional Use Codes LookUp (PDF)
- Appendix I Site Identifiers (Updated 3/15/2022) (PDF)
- Appendix J Institutional Prefixes (PDF)
- Appendix K Public Institutions Independent Institutions Technical Institutions (Updated 03/24/2023) (PDF)
- Institutional Reporting of Proviso 11.15 (CHE Abatement) to CHE 2017 (Public Institutions)
(CHE: Abatements) “By November first of each year, state supported institutions of higher learning must submit to the Commission on Higher Education the total number of out-of-state undergraduate students during the prior fiscal year that received abatement of rates pursuant to Section 59-112-70 of the 1976 Code as well as the total dollar amount of the abatements received. The report must include the geo-origin of the student, class of the student, comprehensive listing of all financial awards received by the student, number of semesters the student has received the abated rate, as well as the athletic status of the student. The report must also include the calculation method used to determine the abatement amount awarded to students as well as the number of students that received educational fee waivers pursuant to Section 59-101-620.”
- Memo: August Reporting for FY22 Proviso 11.15 (CHE Abatement) (PDF)
- Reporting on Abatement of Tuition Rates for Out-of-State Undergraduates (PDF)
- File Layout for Abatements/Waivers (PDF)
- Supplemental Reporting Information (Word)
- CHE Abatement Template (Excel)
- Cumulative list of questions that were asked regarding the proviso from 2015 (PDF) (Note: Question seven has been updated to reflect only undergraduate students).
For questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-737-2260